Pianotech

Expand all | Collapse all

1977 Yamaha G5 with lousy bass strings.

• 1.  1977 Yamaha G5 with lousy bass strings.

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 03-13-2023 20:44

I want some serious imput on the subject of the single string bass strings on a 1977 Yamaha G5 grand.Pre-emptively, I do not need to hear the argument regarding "Grey Market" Yamahas and if you feel this is the only reason the piano doesn't have a good bass, thank you for not responding.
         That being said, the last, (first) strings in the bass, number's 1-6 perhaps are not very rich and have a bit of a burble I hear on all Yamaha grands that include even new C's 1-2. Is this just the way it is. It seems a 6'7" grand should have a bit more clarity. There seems to be ample room for vibration between the bass bridge and the hitch pins unlike smaller grands. The strings do appear rather thin for the notes. Would the next size up help? The piano really sounds pretty good for its age in the growth curve of Yamaha and has not been played hard.Just seeing if I'm the only one who's thought this.

Thank you in advance.

------------------------------
    Edward Mastin RPT
    RPT
    Syracuse NY
    (315) 422-1291

• 2.  RE: 1977 Yamaha G5 with lousy bass strings.

Posted 03-13-2023 22:36

You might try ordering new ones from one of the string companies and see if they sound better.  Some string makers have redesigned scales, which might be better than what was originally on these.  I don't have any personal experience to share on this, but strings from 50 years ago may not be in that good shape, even if they aren't dead sounding.  The G series Yamahas have never really impressed me much, so I wouldn't be surprised to find some improvement with some new bass strings if you care to spend a little and try them out.  I just restrung a Kawai KG2E, around the same size, and it sounds extra nice now, especially in the bass.  It's from the late '80's or early '90's.

Then there's voicing, which might improve things too. 

Good luck.

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    www.AccutonePianoService.com
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: 1977 Yamaha G5 with lousy bass strings.

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted 03-13-2023 22:59
    This post was removed

• 4.  RE: 1977 Yamaha G5 with lousy bass strings.

Posted 03-14-2023 09:11
    This post was removed

• 5.  RE: 1977 Yamaha G5 with lousy bass strings.

Posted 03-14-2023 09:22
    This post was removed

• 6.  RE: 1977 Yamaha G5 with lousy bass strings.

Posted 03-14-2023 15:28

I have a G2 that has great bass strings and in fact that model was/is considered one of the best Yamaha Grands at 5'8". Anyway I suggest you get a new set of bass strings made and talk with James Arledge or whatever string maker you choose. a 1977 Grand is getting close to 50 years old so there is the age issue. Perhaps you need to run a rescaling program . How is the crown of the soundboard ? Could you describe what a "burble" is ? Maybe the bass strings are not the right size since you mentioned they are thin. I would expect thick, double wound strings on a 6'7" Yamaha

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 7.  RE: 1977 Yamaha G5 with lousy bass strings.

Posted 03-14-2023 22:33

Actually, the bigger a piano gets the smaller the diameter becomes on the lower strings. At 50, it could easily be time for new bass strings. I'm doing a Kawai right now from 1987. It was time. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 8.  RE: 1977 Yamaha G5 with lousy bass strings.

Posted 03-15-2023 10:39
    I'm with Peter.  A new set of bass strings from a quality maker, say GC Piano out of Canada, can really transform these older Japanese pianos.  Considering the piano's age,  a full restringing may be in order.  70's/early 80's Yamaha pianos especially seem to develop that "burble" sound and get a little "muddy" in the bass.  Just finishing up a late 60's C7 myself.  Best of luck!
    -Matt Crudo, RPT 

• 9.  RE: 1977 Yamaha G5 with lousy bass strings.

Posted 03-15-2023 12:17

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. It seems the consensus is go for new bass strings. I think that will be the next step. Thanks again! 

BTW, I grew up in Sunapee, NH, its beautiful country!

Edward Mastin RPT
    RPT
    Syracuse NY
    (315) 422-1291

• 10.  RE: 1977 Yamaha G5 with lousy bass strings.

Posted 03-15-2023 12:10

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I have a customer with a new C2 with a wonderful bass. It's a great piano. I'm thinking of calling one of the better base string makers for advice. Usualy the level of pianos I do I go to Mapes and I've been happy. This piano and the theater that has it, deserve a bit better. Thanks again!

Edward Mastin RPT
    RPT
    Syracuse NY
    (315) 422-1291

• 11.  RE: 1977 Yamaha G5 with lousy bass strings.

Posted 03-16-2023 19:35

Your problem does not come as a surprise to me. It is no secret that Yamaha bass strings often do not have a long lifespan, at least not in terms of musicality.

While I have a few German pianos that still have decent sounding original bass strings at over 100 years of age, often I find Yamaha  bass strings begin to die after 30 - 40 years. They lose their roundness and depth of tone, and begin to sound muddy and tubby. New strings will be a huge upgrade for a piano like that.

Jurgen Goering

• 12.  RE: 1977 Yamaha G5 with lousy bass strings.

Posted 03-17-2023 13:12

My experience in this regard is is consistent with Jurgen's. In fact, when some Yamaha techs and corporate folk came to visit Cal Arts recently, I showed them one of our 30-plus year old G1 grands in a practice room. They remarked at how good the sound was, and then I told them that it had Ronsen hammers and GC bass strings.

Big improvements over the original parts.

Alan 

Alan Eder, RPT
    Herb Alpert School of Music
    California Institute of the Arts
    Valencia, CA

• 13.  RE: 1977 Yamaha G5 with lousy bass strings.

Posted 03-17-2023 17:30

I service several Yamaha concert grands that are 30 to 50 years old, all original and bass sounds great. Maybe they used better quality strings on concert grands. Just to give credit where it's due. 

Larry Lobel RPT
    San Francisco chapter

• 14.  RE: 1977 Yamaha G5 with lousy bass strings.

Posted 03-17-2023 21:45
    I want to thank everyone who replied to my question. I appreciate your taking the time to help.

Ed the tuner