Pianotech

Expand all | Collapse all

Impact or carbon fiber hammer for a beginner

• 1.  Impact or carbon fiber hammer for a beginner

Posted 20 days ago
    Hi, folks.

You may have seen my recent post about reducing tuning time for a beginner, as well as requesting general advice. I'd like to post another question seperately.

Beyond the great need for frequent practice, some in that post mentioned the utility of an impact hammer for a beginner. This interests me, especially its ability to stabilise the pin. However, a 200 series Cyberhammer is about the same price as a Fujan carbon fiber, which could also be used on a grand. Which would you pick in my case? Which would be most helpful in, addition to the practice?

Also, if the Fujan, which head angle would give the best control? I'm moderately shorter (5' 7"), so would picking the shorter 11" length be meaningfully detrimental? Should I stick with 13"?

Thank you

------------------------------
    Joshua Dellinger
    Catawba Valley Piano Services
    Maiden, NC
    (828) 705-1732
    cvpianoservices@gmail.com

• 2.  RE: Impact or carbon fiber hammer for a beginner

Posted 20 days ago
    Hello Joshua,
    I have owned both the early Reyburn impact hammer as well as their improved, newer one. They are not as versatile since the model you are referring to, is only for uprights.
    I have done fine tunings with them without any problem.
    However,  I always kept going back to a more traditional tuning hammer shape, either the Fujan or the Charles Faulk. I like those equally well. The Fujan's advantage is that you can increase its leverage by adding an extension.
    I have not personally experimented with different angles but think that it all comes down to personal preference and what works for one person, might not work optimally for another.
    Dan Levitan's C-hammer is designed for grands but I have used that to tune upright pianos as well. Reyburn 's traditional cyber hammer is an excellent choice as well. Maybe you can ask your chapter members to see if they have all the various hammers which they may let you try during a chapter meeting?
    Again, it's a very personal choice.
    Peter

Petrus Janssen
    Peachtree City GA
    (678) 416-8055

• 3.  RE: Impact or carbon fiber hammer for a beginner

Posted 20 days ago
    For a beginner, I'd recommend going with the Fujan. Get used to the pin moving. Learn how to settle it. Only after you've learned this, THEN get the vertical impact lever. Get the lighter version. It's well worth the price difference.

My current Fujan is 17". I wouldn't want to go back to a shorter one. The greater leverage provides more control with less effort. So I'd recommend one not less than 13", although you can make anything work with practice. I think the head angle on mine is 15º. I'd go with either 10º or 15º, because clearance is an issue with the 5º head.

John Formsma
    New Albany MS

"Sneak up on optimal."
    --Ron Nossaman

• 4.  RE: Impact or carbon fiber hammer for a beginner

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 20 days ago

Completely agree with what John said. Learn to use the basic lever first, then branch out. I personally use a 12" Fujan lever, but in hindsight I'd go with the 13". More leverage equals an easier time when dealing with tight pins. 

I've tried a bunch of different head angles, but always go back to 10°. I feel it gives me the best control while flexing the pin the least amount. 15° is good too, but I don't care for it. 5° you'll have problems with. 

When it's time to try the CyberHammer, I recommend getting the newest model (720?). The 200 series is ok but there's a world of difference between the two. If you're going to make the investment, save a little extra and make up the difference. You won't regret it. 

Again, practice and practice and practice before you start buying expensive tools. Master the basics first. 

Benjamin Sanchez, RPT
    Piano Technician / Artisan
    (256) 947-9999
    www.professional-piano-services.com

• 5.  RE: Impact or carbon fiber hammer for a beginner

Posted 20 days ago
    Thanks folks, that sounds good. I was leaning towards an 11", but I'll shoot for the 13". Just wanted to be sure before making the investment. I appreciate the input greatly

Joshua Dellinger
    Catawba Valley Piano Services
    Maiden, NC
    (828) 705-1732
    cvpianoservices@gmail.com

• 6.  RE: Impact or carbon fiber hammer for a beginner