Topic Thread

  • 1.  Mute/muffler rail for grand pianos?

    Posted 12 days ago
    Hi, folks.
    I've had something on my mind off and on for a while now.

    I personally love the tone color of mute rails on vertical pianos. I love the mellow sound it produces.
    I know some grands have a similar system that uses sliders which you move by hand. This is not what I'm looking for
    However, I also know that the fortepiano, instead of an una corda pedal,
    had a knee lever which functioned like the mute pedal on a vertical. (see From the Clavichord to the Modern Piano - Part 2 of 2)

    Does anything like this exist for modern grands?
    If not activated by pedal, then one that can at least be activated while still remaining seated at the piano?


    P.S. While not the pedal system I'd like, this is the closest thing I've seen so far (Kawai KG1 5'4" Polished Ebony Baby Grand Piano - w/ Mute Rail)

    Joshua Dellinger
    Catawba Valley Piano Services
    Maiden NC
    (828) 569-7654

  • 2.  RE: Mute/muffler rail for grand pianos?

    Posted 11 days ago
    Schaff sells or sold a kit that could be installed in vertical pianos which I did on two acrosonics. I think you could make the kit work on a grand by using some modifications. Basically the mute rail is engaged via a cable like the one on the Kawai. Suggest you contact Kawai to see if they have a kit or if you can at least a diagram. The problem i foresee is keeping the felt parallel to the hammers and strings. Perhaps the grand mute rail that is already an aftermarket can be modified to use a cable and some springs

    James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

  • 3.  RE: Mute/muffler rail for grand pianos?

    Posted 3 days ago
    Thanks for the response, James.
    I've attached a screenshot of the response Kawai US sent, as well as the diagram. Not as detailed as I'd hoped, but it's a step in the right direction.

    Joshua Dellinger
    Catawba Valley Piano Services
    Maiden NC


    Page 49 grand muffler.pdf   101 KB 1 version

  • 4.  RE: Mute/muffler rail for grand pianos?

    Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 2 days ago
    Hi Joshua,

    In the past I have also been interested in a grand piano muffler rail because it has been requested by clients. Steve James makes one, I have installed two of them. However I don't think I would use that particular one again. Here is a link to Steve's:

    I recently got a marketing email from QRS that was advertising a grand piano muffler rail. I read through the material and it seemed like a good product that would not be hard to install. You could try contacting QRS. They call it a QRS Grand Piano Soft Play Rail.

    Please let us know what you find. Good luck.

    David Weiss

    David Weiss RPT
    Charlottesville VA
    (434) 823-9733