Pianotech

• 1.  Yamaha key plastics coming off

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 05-01-2023 09:59

Hi, I'm going to be tuning a Yamaha upright piano next week at a high school that is only about 11 years old. A number of the key plastics are coming off and I am hesitant to do the repair since it seems like it's going to keep happening with other keys. I do know that Yamaha had some trouble with these. Is this covered under any warranties? If so, how would I go about getting this problem resolved?

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Tim Foster
    New Oxford PA
    (470) 231-6074

• 2.  RE: Yamaha key plastics coming off

Posted 05-01-2023 10:23
    Have the school contact dealership where they bought the pianos. Or you can be the intermediary, and contact Dave Durbin (DDurben@Yamaha.com) at Yamaha with the model (probably a P22) and serial number. 

Yamaha is replacing all the keytops at their expense even if the piano is a little more than 10 years old. They even reimburse you for the shipping and your time to remove the keys and put them back in. 

Wim

• 3.  RE: Yamaha key plastics coming off

Posted 05-01-2023 21:20

Great, thanks, Wim!

On another note, I hope to be attending the convention, I would love to meet you in person! 

Tim Foster
    New Oxford PA
    (470) 231-6074

• 4.  RE: Yamaha key plastics coming off

Posted 05-02-2023 12:23

I recently dealt with an 11 year old U1 with this problem although to date, only about 4 keys have come off.

Carroll Arbogast

Carroll Arbogast
    Piano Technician
    CMA Piano Care, LLC
    Needham, MA
    (617) 283-0443